Founders’ Celebration commemorates the founding of the University and the legacy of the Stanford family. This is an opportunity for all members of the Stanford community—students, faculty, and staff—together with members of neighboring communities to join in celebration of the success of Jane and Leland Stanford’s dream to establish a "university of high degree."
In and around Cantor Arts Center:
Stanford Family Carriage
"The Wheelmen" - local antique high wheel bicyclists
"California Zephyr" – musicians playing a variety of music from the period
“Cantor Then & Now”: display of the architectural model of new Arts District around Cantor
Stanford Historical Society
Stanford Bookstore display of related historical books. Purchase at the White Plaza store.
- Exhibit of Stanford Family artifacts, ephemera and memorabilia, and archival slide show from the University Archives
- Daniel Hartwig, University Archivist, will give a short introduction to the Historical Family Exhibits at 11:30 AM and 1:15 PM
Stanford Family rooms
- Docent tours at 2:30 PM, 3:00 PM and 3:30 PM
Cantor Family Programs
Art-making with a professional art educator. For children 5 and upwards.
Moorman Studio 1:00-3:00 PM
Create a commemorative portrait of Leland Stanford Jr. and draw a favorite Stanford building using 1- and 2- point perspective
Sign-up for a 30-minute session at our Family Programs welcome table
Courtyard 2:00-4:00 PM
Make owl masks inspired by the Stanford Family Collection
In and around the Stanford Family Mausoleum Area:
On this rare occasion, the Stanford Mausoleum will be open to visitors between the hours of 11:00 AM and 5:00 PM
- Members of the ASSU Senior Class Cabinet will continue the long-standing tradition of laying flowers at the Stanfords' tomb at 12:00 PM.
- Docent tour of the Mausoleum area at 12:15 PM - meet at the Mausoleum shuttle stop
Other areas of note around the Mausoleum:
Stanford Family Memorial Statue
Angel of Grief
Arizona Cactus Garden
A flyer of information about the area may be downloaded from the link on the right.
In and around the Main Quad:
Enjoy a self-guided walking tour around some of the oldest parts of the University with our Historypin tour. Also available as an app from the iTunes store (In the app, click on Channels, Stanford University Archives, then Tours).